Sunday, September 6, 2015

VXX DRIP

When the market sells off quickly, traders get excited and rush into VXX, UVXY, and other volatility instruments. I'm holding XIV as a long term trade.  I have to make a confession.  I'm getting crushed on this trade. 

 Despite getting crushed in the short term, I have little concern that this will be a tremendously profitable trade. History shows long volatility to be a losing proposition long term.

(Chart per P.O.P. Stephen Stewart's public chart list)

The reason I  have absolute confidence in this trade despite the instant surrounding is that I did it in 2011.  I shorted VXX on Aug 9, 2011 at 32,  I shorted again on 8/19/11 at 42.

Ignore the VXX split adjustments.  My 2011 trade looked liked this:  Short term pain, long term gain.



The risk I take in doing this trade is not so much financial, it is the risk that my violations of every trading rule I have becomes a habit.


No comments:

Post a Comment