Tuesday, May 5, 2015

How I set Up My Charts and Momentum Scans

When scanning for Momentum stocks, I to keep several scan windows with the criteria I am searching for so that I can sort it easy. 



The first window "Top Momentum" is all stocks that meet my liquidity stocks.  I generally keep this scan organized by stocks with the highest "MDT Daily" level.  

The Next Window "Power" is my bread and butter scan.  That is the Scan for the 3 year RSI high.   I can sort it for various criteria that I find useful.  MDT, Small Floats.  I have MACD column that I can see are checked for confirm. 

Finally, I have a window for IPOs because I find the IPOS to be profitable trading  vehicles after the initial washout. 

I set my "Big Gain Hunting" chart, up as follows:

  • Starting view is the Weekly 
    • I find that it filters out the he noise the best.
    • I will then look at other time frames when contemplating trades
  •  Wilder RSI. -- self explanatory. With breakout trades I like them above the Green line.
    • But when hitting the red on a weekly.  That gets a bit hot 
  • price chart.  I look at hundreds of charts and set the price alerts. 
    • I like simple charts so I only include a 10 and a 4 EMA on the chart.
  • Volume: nothing special -- I have an 20 day ma /4 week avg. to let me know whether volume is significant or not.
  • MACD: I combined my fast and normal MACD in one window. It is easy enough to see.
  • % to magic line.  I prefer taking trades that are close to the 10 Week Avg.  Breakout trades do not have to be extended. 





No comments:

Post a Comment