Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Trading in the Zone: The Intro Survey

At the beginning of Trading in the Zone, Mark Douglas' provides a survey.  I thought I would share my  answers to what I perceive as several of my trading issues.

"5. My risk is always defined before I enter a trade. Agree Disagree."

Disagree:
I have a stop limit when  I entry a trade and I assume that is my risk.  Yet on several occasions. I have been gapped and have taken much larger losses than I had anticipated as my risk.  I had not accounted  for the black swan type of events. 


"11. I have sustained periods of consistent success usually followed by some fairly drastic draw-downs in my equity. Agree Disagree"

I find this the most frustrating aspect.  Just when I feel I get it and I'm "in the zone"  I find my self taking a large loss on a trade where I had bent rules.  Last year I went in big FUEL and took nearly a 10% hit.  At the time, that happen I was up over 60% on the year and had just completed a 16% month.  I could do no wrong.      

I did it again in January and in June.  None of these drawdowns were slow.  They were usually caused by  I don't fault the market, downgrades, missed earnings or any of the things the financial press may have attributed the drop in a stock.  I got intoxicated with my success and suffered the hangover. 

Although I have been able to pick myself up each time and trade successful and pull myself out, It's time to stop that cycle.   


21. There are many times when I am in a profitable trade and I know the move is basically over, but I still won't take my profits. Agree Disagree 

Agree. Probably related to 11.  There are times when I feel my profits are too small relative to the number of shares I have on, which prevents me from taking the profits.  Many times those positions cause the most harm. 


"30. In a few sentences explain why most traders either don't make money or aren't able to keep what they make."

We attempt to rationalize moves and apply logic to why a stock has moved too much or why It will move a lot in our favor.   We jump at poorly planned trades out of fear of missing out.  Our equity curve reflects our emotional state so when we get a burst   in our equity curve we do not see the risks and trade in a manner different than what caused the equity increase. 

No comments:

Post a Comment